About the Project
Factory-engineered precast lift boxes
- Location: Hartlepool, UK
- Client: Hartlepool College of Further Education.
With progress on the main programme often dependent on the early completing of lift shaft works, PCE Ltd ensured that all design, planning and manufacturing took place in ample time for construction to commence on site.
PCE’s complete package embraced design, supply, erection and grouting crews and, where required, craneage.
The system uses factory-engineered precast lift boxes, which are delivered to site on a just-in-time basis and erected directly from the delivery vehicle to quickly complete lift towers often in excess of 20 metres in height.
By pre-planning each installation in fine detail, PCE Ltd has perfected a formula for safely and rapidly erecting single or multiple shafts from start to finish in as little as five hours.
Prior to site works, each unit is carefully designed with any feature required by the client or the lift installers planned and built-in from the outset, ensuring an easier task for follow-on trades once the shafts are installed.
The modular system and close tolerances achieved using precast concrete systems eliminates the problems that can occur when using traditionalshaft construction methods such as blockwork, brickwork, in-situ or steel reinforced concrete, which rely heavily on the skills of site labour, require high levels of supervision and are time consuming.
With progress on the main programme often dependent on the early completing of lift shaft works, PCE ensures that all design, planning and manufacturing takes place in ample time for construction to commence on site. PCE’s complete package embraces design, supply, erection and grouting crews and, where required, craneage.
- Offsite manufacture saving time and labour
- Services and features built-in at manufacture
- PCE Ltd’s expertise in precast design
- Supply chain management and on-time delivery.
PCE’s lift shaft solution is rapid, cost-effective and provides a high degree of accuracy with minimal site time required for erection. The finished shaft already has key features built in at manufacture and the precast concrete construction provides a robust structure offering a high degree of fire resistance.
Category: Education / schools
- 3 number 5 storey and 2 number 4 storey lift shafts constructed using only 48 precast components including lift shaft bases and top covers.
- Mouldage allows flexibility in cross section dimensions whilst maintaining tolerances
- Fast erection to full height of lift cores enables subsequent frame contractor to progress their work without delays and a reduction in other operatives working on site at the same time.
- Offsite factory production of lift shaft boxes ensure internal dimensional accuracy maintained with tight tolerance requirements.
- All 5 lift shafts constructed to full height within 5 working days by one erection crew.
- Constructing the liftshafts using individual wall panels would have significantly increased onsite programme and costs due to propping and jointing requirements, with the risk of the finished shafts being to greater tolerances.